Search This Blog

Thursday, May 23, 2013

I might stand out from the Crowd


As you read the title, "Why people don't talk to people about Jesus," you might be wondering why it is so redundant.  Admittedly I could've written, "Why people don't talk about Jesus."  But, I'm not sure talking about Jesus is always the issue.  At times, I think it's an audience issue.  I could talk with my dogs about Jesus, which should be a one-sided conversation, but unless someone saw me doing this I don't think I would be the least bit embarrassed.  The hard part is talking to another person about Jesus.  That's when we put ourselves out there and risk feeling very uncomfortable and nearly naked.

For some people, they don't want to stand out from the crowd.  They don't want to be "that guy."  I say "they" because standing out from the crowd is not typically an issue for me.  I don't mind being "that guy."  My closet contains an electric blue suit and a bright red sport coat.  I wore the red sport coat last Sunday with red and black argyle socks.  The blue suit really pops when paired with a white shirt and orange tie. I scream at the top of my lungs at little league football games and clap and sing loudly - not always on beat or in key.

But just because standing out from the crowd is not an issue for me doesn't mean it isn't an issue for others.  

We like to blend in.  Many times we like to "fly under the radar" and "go unnoticed" unless it is a special occasion and then we will relish the embarrassment of sitting in a saddle on a chair at Texas Roadhouse while strangers sing happy birthday to us. Having it be strangers helps a bit doesn't it?  When will we see any of these people again?  Maybe some of the wait staff, but rarely anyone sitting around us.  That reduces the risk.  But, even this is too much for some of us.

Many times we will do practically anything to avoid standing
out.  We avoid situations where we might be vulnerable.  Instead of risking a smile and some eye contact with someone in a hallway, parking lot or store, we look the other way or stare at our shoes.  This is why most of us rarely ask for someone's name.  We think we should know it already and are afraid to ask.  That's why name-tags can be such a lifesaver.

So, if this is your challenge, how do you get around this?  How do you get yourself to take the risk?  At the risk of sounding a bit like Dave Ramsey, I would say that you take baby steps.


  • Work on making eye contact with people - family, friends, strangers, even the guy standing in the hallway in the bright red sport coat that makes your eyes hurt.
  • Move up to smiling at the people you make eye contact with and maybe even say hi.  At worst, they will look away or stare at their shoes.  At best, they may return the smile or just wonder what you're up to.
  • The next step is asking someone a question.  Start with something easy like, "Could I bother you for the time?" or "Could you tell me where the drinking fountain is?"
  • After you move past this, you can start making conversations with people.  Again, start with something easy.  Make a comment on the weather, the news or a popular sports team.
Once you build up your conversational skills you can work
Jesus into the conversation.  You can ask someone what they are doing this coming weekend and see if church comes up.  If it does, jump into that and learn more about their church and their faith life.  If they have something else, talk with them about that.  Then, see if you can share what you are doing and see if they engage you.  If they aren't interested, there will be some silence and you move on to a less threatening topic.

If you want to grow in learning how to talk with people about Jesus, you don't have to jump in the deep end. Dip in a toe and there you go.

I'd be interested in hearing what other ideas people might have for those who struggle to talk about Jesus because they might stand out from the crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment